Monday, April 19, 2010

Sodding volcanoes

After 6 months and over 1100km of training, I am in the hands of meteorologists and the air traffic controllers. I've been focused on next Sunday since October, and it looks as though I may be on the wrong contintent when the gun goes. As John Cleese said after his taxi ride home from Norway: "If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans". At this stage it's still touch & go whether my flight to London will leave on Wednesday night or not. Frustrating doesn't even begin to describe it.

The latest from another of those bodies I hadn't heard of a week ago is this:
... the latest Met Office advice is that the contaminated area will continue to move south with the possibility that restrictions to airspace above England and Wales, including the London area, may be lifted later tomorrow (Tuesday).
That sounds to me like some small cause for optimism, so we wait and hope.

If I don't make my flight, then I am planning to run "Not the London Marathon", which will be a 42.2km run (26 miles etc.) somewhere around the Cape Peninsula. Potential runners so far are me, Bruno, a few friends if we can talk them into it, and anyone else who is stuck here when they wanted to be running in London. With a bit of luck and work, we can get some T-shirts made, a bit of press coverage, and some nice sponsorship. Families will be manning water tables, and we can finish at a suitable pub. Let me know if you're in a similar position and keen to run. Watch this space...

No comments:

Post a Comment